Gateway Theatre is seeking a dynamic and creative individual to fill the position of Communications Coordinator. The position is fulltime (35 hrs/week) with benefits. Hours of work are daytime (9:00 am to 5:00pm) with some evenings and weekends. Start date is January 2015.
Gateway Theatre is a welcoming and inclusive regional theatre for Richmond and its surrounding communities. Encouraging participation and cultural diversity, we strive for excellence and leadership in the development and production of live professional theatre and programs that connect the community.
Gateway Theatre has been programming English language theatre performances in Richmond for the past 30 years. In August 2014, Gateway Theatre launched the inaugural Gateway Pacific Theatre Festival, a brand new Chinese language theatre festival to reflect the diverse community in Richmond and the Lower Mainland. Along with the new festival, Gateway Theatre will continue to program English language works during its 2014-15 Season (October – April) and beyond.
Working closely with the Communications Manager the successful candidate’s main responsibilities are the planning and execution all press and publicity, managing all social media outlets, grant writing and the organization of Opening Nights.
We’re looking for someone with exceptional written and oral communication skills with a great work ethic. You should be reliable, very detail-oriented, outgoing, and comfortable working on multiple projects simultaneously, either on your own or as part of a team. Please care deeply about spelling, grammar, and punctuation. A high degree of proficiency in Outlook, Excel, and Word are minimum requirements. We’d also appreciate a good sense of humour and a willingness to pitch in to get the job done.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Writing, editing, proofing and sending out all press releases
- Writing, editing, proofing and sending out grant applications
- Building positive working relationships with members of all types of media and press
– Maintaining an up-to-date media list
- Responding to all media inquiries
- Keeping track of all Gateway related stories in the media and prepare publicity packages
- Monitoring and maintaining all social media channels
– Creating social media strategy and plans to build online audiences
- Managing Opening Night guest lists
- Sending out Opening Night invitations and overseeing all RSVPs ensuring company guests and media reviewers are invited and welcomed
– Attending Opening Night performances to monitor media coverage
- Networking and hosting post-performance receptions
- Creating content and sending out monthly e-newsletters
- Writing, editing and proofing all outgoing communications material for all departments as required or requested (including but not limited to advertorials, newsletters, website, letters, programs, etc.)
- Working with Box Office on all sales campaigns and act as resource for patron inquiries
- Assisting with the planning and execution of all photo shoots
- Keeping up to date with CAEA union regulations in terms of promotion and publicity to ensure compliance
- Liaising with Jessie Jury chairs, organize tickets for jury members and track their attendance
- Responding to all donation requests and facilitating tickets donations
- Representing Gateway at community events as required
- Strong writing and editing skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Prior experience in marketing and communications and/or business
- Familiarity with MS Office software
- Knowledge of local theatre community is an asset
- Work experience in an arts and/or cultural environment is an asset
- Fluency in Mandarin and/or Cantonese is an asset
Closing date for applications: December 19, 2014
To apply for this position, email your resume, a cover letter specifically detailing why you would be the ideal candidate for the position, and two additional writing samples to Jovanni Sy, Artistic Director (firstname.lastname@example.org).
No phone calls please. We do not accept applications by Fax. We thank all applicants, but advise that only those considered for an interview will be contacted.